HTML5 Gamedev Starter
Below you'll find useful links to resources that will help you
find your way into HTML5 game development.
This list is maintained by Andrzej Mazur from Enclave Games,
creator of the js13kGames competition.
Contact him directly if you want to buy HTML5 games.
You can also subscribe to the Gamedev.js Weekly newsletter
for HTML5 gamedev updates every Friday.
Building a game from scratch is not always a good idea, so better look around and find yourself the framework you'll be comfortable with which will speed up development time.
- HTML5 Game Engine list - list of the most popular HTML5 game engines
- Game Engines GitHub Wiki - list of all the game engines, frameworks and renderers
- Construct 2 - most popular framework, free, targeted for non-programmers (drag and drop)
- ImpactJS - top-quality game engine for programmers, costs $99 but it's worth the price
- Phaser - engine for desktop and mobile HTML5 games with great community
- Turbulenz - incredibly efficient 3D game engine offering great toolset for developers
- WADE - web app development engine
- PlayCanvas - 3D HTML5 game engine with cloud-based tools
- Wimi5 - creating, publishing and monetizing HTML5 games
- Booty5 - HTML5 2D game maker and engine
- THREE.BasicThirdPersonGame - small micro-framework for WebGL games based on THREE.js and Cannon.js
- Ceilfire - browser based platform for intuitive HTML5 game development
Tutorials and articles#tutorials
Read tutorials, learn from others, avoid their mistakes and use what you know to build top-class HTML5 game.
Stay up to date with all the news about new frameworks, competitions or stunning games.
Distribute your game across different platform to be recognized by publishers and players.
- Kongregate - Flash site, but now also accepting HTML5 games
- Newgrounds - Flash site, but now also accepting HTML5 games
- FGL - known as Flash Game License, now also selling HTML5 licenses
- MarketJS - sell licenses for your HTML5 games
- 5 Apps - deployment and distribution tools
- BoosterMedia - mobile cloud gaming network
- HTML5 Games - the most popular showcase of HTML5 games
- GameMix - free cross-promotion network for HTML5 games
- CrazyGames - new distribution platform for HTML5 games
- Softgames - the leading HTML5 games network
- itch.io - distribution and game jam hosting platform for HTML5 games
- GamePix - platform for developers and publishers with interesting blog posts
APIs and Ads#api
Improve your game with achievements, leaderboards and even customizable advertisements.
- Clay.io - distribute your game and provide APIs at the same time
- Scoreoid - high scores, achievements, analytics, cloud storage, etc
- LeadBolt - monetize your HTML5 games
Wrappers and packagers#wrappers
Wrap and package your HTML5 game for native platforms like iOS, Android and others.
- CocoonJS - battle-tested wrapper for HTML5 games by Ludei
- Intel XDK - previously developed by AppMobi, perfect for packaging your game
- Ejecta - ImpactJS's way to package HTML5 games for iOS
- GameClosure - wrap your games for iOS and Android devices
- Node-WebKit - Uses Node and WebKit to packages apps into a excutable file for the desktop
Take part in the competitions to quickly improve your skills and integrate with the community.
- Ludum Dare - the most known competition with thousands of participants worldwide
- One Game a Month - build a new game every month
- Node Knockout - build your games on the server side using Node.js
- Js13kGames - create HTML5 games that will fit in a zip package of only 13 kilobytes
Meetups and conferences#meetups
Meet with the community, talk with people face to face and learn from them.
Get direct help#help
Don't be afraid to ask for help if you have any problems with your game you're working on.
Follow top-class developers to see what they are working on and to learn from their experiences.
Photonstorm, Space Monster Games, Lost Decade Games, Game Cook, Rezoner, Bushido Games, Gopherwood Studios, Hiive, McFunkypants, Andrew J Baker, Michal Budzynski, Andrzej Mazur, Louis Stowasser, Andres Pagella, Ludei, True Valhalla, Enclave Games ...and many more.
Link is missing? Have something new and interesting to add?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a pull request on GitHub!